Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Gavin's Gruesome Grades

What do you do when your child fails school because he is too lazy to put forth the effort required for good grades?????

I've taken away video games, tv, and even toys!

He isn't allowed out with friends. I give him daily chores - more than his usual bit.

I talked to him kindly and explained the seriousness bad grades will have on his future.

I've yelled and told him how disappointed I am in him.

I've cried and tried to guilt him.

I told him he needs to ignore his friends, pay attention to the teacher, and check any and all assignments four times before turning anything in.

And I've talked to him about his poor grades every single day. I check his homework, ask about future projects, ask if he got in trouble at school.

Every day he sincerely says "I'm so sorry mom. I will try harder! I know you don't believe me, but I will bring my grades up mom. I'm sorry." He even cries!

Then.. I check his homework and he doesn't even read the directions and gets all three math problems WRONG.. I mean, there's only 3 questions Gavin, how can you NOT read the directions and then double check it.. and then triple check it!?!!?! When you are FAILING school.

People think infants are hard to parent, or toddlers, nothing compares to parenting a pre-teen.. well.. this coming from a mother without any teenagers.. but I'm sure THEY are even more difficult and frustrating.

I bought "Bright minds, poor grades" and have started reading it, but I can't see it holding any magic answer that will motivate Gavin. I should pray. That's what I should do. Give it God.

In fact, I've tried my way and it didn't work. I should've thought of this sooner! I'm a fool Lord, forgive me. I am not in control. You are.

No comments:

Post a Comment